Game time is less than a week away! Holy Moses! One last update for you before we meet up, just to make sure everyone’s on the same page.
1) BACKSTORIES ARE IMPORTANT FOR THIS CAMPAIGN! You don’t need much, I keep saying this but I don’t think too many people have actually taken care of it yet. You can wait until the very last day if you want, but don’t expect me to work it into the story (because I won’t have the time). There is a Player’s Guide to the campaign we’re running which I will make available RIGHT HERE RIGHT HERE RIGHT HERE – download it, look it over, and at least go to the section on Character Traits so you know what we’re looking for. They give you sample stories to explain your connection to the Big Bad Guy this time around, with traits to go along with them. If you choose these stories/traits they will take up your one trait available, so if you want to have one of these stories and not choose the trait that’s fine. There are a lot of ways to tie yourself to this guy aside from what’s in the book so there’s no excuse!
2) We are nuking the last “adventure” (I invest that word with a great deal of scorn) we had, since it bore little to no relevance to this campaign. We could fit it in, but with people dropping in, out, and starting new characters, it just makes more sense to do it this way. We’ll go over gold totals before the game, but it’s of relatively little importance so don’t worry about it.
3) If everyone could bring around $4 for the first part of the campaign + the city guide that would be great. The guide was ~$12, the adventure was somewhere in the realm of $15-20. Anything over the cost of those two will be put towards future campaign books. If you decide you don’t want to keep playing you get your dollar back it’s that easy!
I hope to see everyone there on Saturday, and I hope we all have a good time. Going to aim for around a 2 PM start time. Please show up and be fed by 2 PM! PARTY ON
This is it, guys! This is the beginning of our campaign with our new characters and my first game as a DM. Hopefully, this won’t be the last. The stage is set for this Saturday afternoon (February 5th) and it probably won’t end until later in the evening. This post will serve as a last minute FAQ for anybody who wants to participate. I actually meant to post this up on Tuesday but I got really busy. Oh well.
What the hell is Pathfinder?
Pathfinder is a pen and paper RPG that split off from Dungeons and Dragon after the 4th edition came out. It’s essentially Dungeons and Dragons 3.75 or what 3.5 should have been.
Wait, isn’t DnD like really nerdy? Why should I care?
Well, I can’t really change your mind if you think the game is too “nerdy” for you. If you don’t want to play then that’s cool. I will ask that you refrain from passing any judgement until you’ve actually played a game or two yourself. Personally, I’ve always wanted to play a pen and paper RPG like this for a while. Until recently, there wasn’t really enough interest to justify learning the rules and going through the long process of making a character. But now, thanks to Arkham Horror and Call of Cthuhlu, we can finally play a proper pen and paper RPG. Exciting, isn’t it?
Okay, you’ve convinced me! I’ll meet up at your hou…
Whoa whoa whoa! You’re going way too fast. First, before you can play, you need to make some preparations of your own. These preparations are for the benefit for the whole group. There’s nothing more tedious than stopping a game in the middle of combat because somebody didn’t understand how attacks of opportunity work. That said, you don’t have to read EVERYTHING since it is a lot to go through in one day. Everything you need to know are available at this website: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
That’s a lot of shit. Where do I start first?
You don’t have to go through everything but you need to at least read the combat rules. I can’t stress this enough. You must read the entire combat section. Some of it might sound confusing and that’s okay. We can clarify everything once the game starts but you must at least know the basic concepts. Then after that, if you have time, read the additional rules. If you’re going to be a caster, read the magic section as well. When you think you got the basics down, then it’s time to make your class. Read this page and follow it step by step. Contact me if you need help. You can even bring over a partially created character and we can finish him/her off real quick. Just make sure you know what you want before you come. If you want, you can even create a back story for your character.
Hey, none of these questions applies to me! I already know what I’m doing! Tell me what do I need to know for this game?
Since this is my first game DMing, we will be running a module. Let me warn you, though, that this module isn’t very sandbox friendly. So, please bare with me. For this particular game, I will allow one trait if you provide a back story that explains why you have the trait. The first game will take place in a small town called Kassen. It’s in Nirmathas. A long time ago, a raider (Asar) kept attacking the town for two months until the town’s founder (Ekat Kassen) stepped in and killed the raider. Unfortunately, Kassen was mortally wounded and died two days later. To honor his death, the townfolks built a crypt for Kassen and with an eternal flame hanging over his sarcophagus. It has become a tradition to journey to the crypt every year, now. Adventurers must light a lantern using the everflame and bring it back to town, where a huge festival awaits.
Is that it?
There’s a lot of information that I’m sure that I’m missing. In any case, if you have any questions, feel free to IM me and I’ll help you out if I can. Again, this game is taking place this Saturday. Please show up on time. Thanks.
Here’s some new information which will hopefully meet your Pathfinder needs! Also I need to make an announcement:
If you don’t show up for the 2/19 game, you’re out of the group. No hard feelings, we just need everyone there to get started on the campaign proper. There’s always next time (or other people’s games).
1) In addition to utilizing the Ultimate Combat playtest, we’ll also be including the Ultimate Magic playtest! That means more butterscotch for everyone, in addition to a new character class (The Magus) and a new style of play for casters (Words of Power mages). They’ll be linked below, or you can download them for free from Paizo’s website so why not!
2) I’ve got a nice, big map of Golarion here for you, along with a link to the Gazetteer, a nice pocket-sized version of the Campaign Setting. If you’d like to check out the Campaign Setting book, which is a slightly heftier download, by all means; there is a lot more information on races and nations. Get in touch with me and I’ll send it to you!
3) Stats are being re-balanced. In the future I’m planning to utilize a point-buy system to hit a sweet spot between players having control over their characters without making them way overpowered and difficult to balance. If people want to re-do their stats this way, that’s fine (I’ll take a vote sometime in the next week or two); if not, the rule is to take your stats BEFORE your racial modifier and add them up. The total needs to be between 80 and 85. If you currently surpass this, you’ll need to lower them suitably, and across the board. No lowering your least-used stat to 3 and keeping everything else topped off. I’ll take a look at everyone’s dudes way before playtime and make sure we’re all on the same page. I’m not too worried about it.